Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Sin That so Easily Entangles

What a perfect way to describe the sin that we get ourselves into. I wanted to write about this because it's been popping up in my head lately as I've been wondering what to write about next, and I really feel the Lord has put it on my heart not only to say, but to carry out in my own life. The title is a reference to Hebrews 12:1, which goes like this: "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." I'll confess that I've been caught up in such a sin recently - probably a few of them, actually, that I don't even know about - but one specifically comes to mind. This verse is such a great encouragement to me to not get lazy. It reminds me of something Bobby said on Sunday that I thought was really good. He said when we realize how big God's love is compared to our sin, we can be set free, because when we look at it we think 'what a small thing for the power of an infinite God.' That has been a great help this week.

Sometimes I fall into thinking that God's power is just barely enough to help me stand up under the temptation of sin, but that just isnt true. I don't even know how it works, but compared with infinity, any amount is insignificant, no matter how very significant it may seem when I compare it with my own power. But that was my mistake, and that was why I fell into it - I was relying on my own goodness and power to overcome and reject it, but that ultimately crumbled. Only God's power is trustworthy and sturdy enough to withstand any temptations. Once we get a grasp on the extent of God's power and the fact that it literally lives in us through Jesus, we can see a sin that would otherwise ensnare us, and say "wow, why is that such a struggle; its such a ridiculous little thing keeping me from getting close to God." So that's been my mindset ever since. I also try to remember the pain that is caused when I willfully sin against God, and the chastisement that is promised in the Bible to those Christians who disobey their Father.

Basically it has to do with setting my mind on things above, and not thinking about all the struggles around me, which is what I find I'm doing when I fall into sin. Reading the Word is essential in accomplishing that, and its necessity cannot be overstated. So I started really reading John, not just telling people "well I've been thinking I'll start John." Sometimes I tick myself off, but I guess thats what it takes - gotta be sick of yourself. Biblically (Matthew 5) this constitutes realizing that you have nothing, no spirituality or goodness to offer whatsoever. Then on top of that you have to mourn, because if you realize you're evil and you don't give a rip, you haven't repented.

It's about time for me to cast off these weights and run my Christian race with endurance. God is waiting - won't you join me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evan, Great to see you back on your blog! Reading your post was really encouraging! Yes, it is easy for sin to entangle us, but you are right that God's power and love surpass any sin we might struggle with. I encourage you to keep running in His strength and will look forward to reading about your progress here on your blog!