Monday, January 09, 2006

Treasures of Wickedness

I'll be honest. I get so caught up sometimes in what is going to benefit me on earth, and base moral decisions with that as the most weighty factor. I recently wrestled at a wrestling tournament in which I had to forfeit first round to a girl, because the computer randomly paired her up with me, and we aren't allowed to wrestle girls at King's. This is based on the moral principle that men should treat women with gentleness, respect, and modesty. To be blunt, wrestling involves some sketchy situations that would certainly not be consider gentle, respectful, or modest if a girl was involved. So, I forfeited. I got about 4 positive responses and all other negative responses. So basically I did not win favor in the sight of man, nor the pleasure of placing higher than I did.

But who cares? Maybe a few wrestlers I half-know, or one of the assistant coaches. What does it gain me in the long run, though? I seriously hope I'm not looking back on that day for the next 50 years saying, "Man, if only I wrestled that girl..." It seems so important at the time, but when its all over, winning a few more matches doesn't matter one iota. How I lived my life is what will matter. People are more likely to look back and see a righteous pattern and use one of these incidents as an example than to praise me for getting 4th place in a small tournament rather than 7th. Proverbs says, "Treasures of wickedness profit nothing, but righteousness delivers from death" (10:2). Funny how God hits it right on the head every time...


Perhaps you've heard someone say before that "The man with the most toys in the end wins." That has to be the most ridiculously hollow philosophy to ever form on the face of the earth. Wins what? What toys? Who cares? Everyone's dead in "the end"! The only thing that's left, as Bobby has been stressing to us in High Point recently, is our relationship with Christ. We are either his friend or his enemy, and only that is truly eternal. "Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, But righteousness delivers from death" (Prov. 11:4).


So let us not waste our time any longer storing up earthly wealth or treasures of wickedness, because ultimately a life focused on doing that will only lead to disappointment, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness" (Matt. 6:33). The Lord will take care of our earthly needs if we make our focus living a righteous life pleasing to him.


"The hope of the righteous will be gladness, But the expectation of the wicked will perish" (Prov. 10:28).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evan, Thanks for a great post. Although it might seem like they are forfeiting things in this world, the righteous will definitely win in the end!

Kelsey said...

Evbone~ This is a great post! Thanks for the encouragement to leave the world behind and strive for righteousness!

Ben Blakey said...

Evan-

Ya, good call on not fighting the girl...definitely sketchy. Good point, and great insight on the emptiness of the world's philosophy!