Wednesday, December 05, 2007

This Sermon Wouldn't Preach

Not these days, anyways. It's too… extremist. It's a sermon on wisdom. Here's the central passage from Job:

Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding. (Job 28:28)

Trying to figure out what it means to fear God? I'll let this supporting passage give you a subtle hint:

But when they had grazed, they became full,
they were filled, and their heart was lifted up;
therefore they forgot me.
So I am to them like a lion;
like a leopard I will lurk beside the way.
I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs;
I will tear open their breast,
and there I will devour them like a lion,
as a wild beast would rip them open. (Hosea 12:6-8).

Don't let your comfort help you forget God this Christmas (or ever!). Let it remind you of His goodness!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Wonderful commentary - thansk for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i don't understand what it means to fear God.

Evan said...

Hey, Anon

(so wish you would leave your name so I can follow up with you).

Is there a clarification I can make?

I have to admit I'm at a loss as to how to respond in a helpful way. Help me help you!

Anonymous said...

I just have absolutely no idea what it means, but i know that all Christians are supposed to fear God.
-Lauren