Sunday, January 06, 2008

Resolutions 4 and 5

If you're a regular here you'll notice two things that have happened recently on my blog: 1) That nothing has been happening recently on my blog with respect to new posts showing up regularly, and 2) That I added a 4th resolution to me list of Edwards-inspired statements of resolution. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, you'll notice that to the right of this blog is a section on the sidebar called resolutions that I desire public accountability for. Anyways, I was inspired last year at Resolved 2007, a conference inspired by Jonathan Edwards' 70 resolutions, that I should make some of my own. I wasn't ready (nor did I think it wise) to take on 70 all at one time, but I took CJ Mahaney's advice and went for 3 things that I could focus on. You'll notice a 4th one there as well, written 1/1/08 (Convenient right?). It reads:

4) Resolved, to always daily encourage another Christian brother or sister for the purpose of building them up and firmly establishing them in their faith that they might be presented to God fully mature in Christ. (1/1/08)

I was convicted of the absolute necessity of doing this when I watched a sermon by my good friend and Pastor Bobby Blakey. Encouragement is so essential to the Christian faith for everyone, whether a veteran in the faith or just a new baby Christian. The verse that I think about that characterizes what our attitude should be on this subject is Hebrews 10:24-5:

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Consider implies an active attempt at planning how and when to do what follows.

"Stir up" has been translated elsewhere as "spur on." We know that spurs don't feel good in horses, but it gets them to giddy up! We should be actively encouraging other Christians, even if that requires us to induce a little pain. A friendly rebuke. A confrontation. Something to communicate the seriousness of continuing in "love and good works."

The next phrase gives us a practical way to do this, that is, that we should continually be meeting together. I have often used this to refer to church gatherings and why we ought to go to church regularly, but Bobby explained that this "meeting" is a bit different than a public gathering. It refers more to personal meetings where the chairs (pews?) are facing each other, rather than facing the front. I have had the wonderful privilege these past few weeks to gather together with likeminded Christians for the express purpose of mimicking the early church as described in Acts 2:42-7. We even named our group Kata Hemera, which is the transliteration of the Greek words translated "daily." We met together almost every day, except for those holidays that were devoted specifically to our families. It was a time of encouragement unlike anything else I've ever experienced. At the moment, I have the privilege of visiting (and therefore meeting!) with Bobby, Christa, little Tyler, Ty, Brad, and the rest of the Compass crowd here in Orange County. Knowing (experiencing) the benefit of such constant encouragement coupled with the clarity of Bobby's sermon convinced me to continue a similar kind of active encouragement as I go to school this coming quarter, hence the resolution.

However, you might ask, why is this blog called "Resolutions 4 and 5"? Well, resolution number five came about as a result of 2 separate but related convictions. One was that I do not pray enough, which was made obvious during a meeting with Kata Hemera where we listened to a sermon by John Piper on what it means to "be devoted to prayer" (Romans 12:12). The second conviction was when I remember being in bed tempted to take the Lord's name in vain, to say it in an irreverent or cavalier manner. This is what I decided to resolve:

5) Resolved, to be devoted to prayer. Resolved, if at any time I should be tempted to take the Lord's name in vain, that I should remember the necessity, benefit, and privilege of using His name in prayer and immediately commit myself to such a task, lifting up His name in praise and not in scorn.

After listening to the sermon I came away thoroughly convicted that John Piper loved and was devoted to prayer, and that I did not and was not respectively. That needs to change. Now! I hope that you will make this year a year devoted to encouragement and to prayer. Everyone desperately needs both.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evan!

It was great having you fellowship with us here at Compass this weekend! And you even wrote a blog while you were here! That's encouraging! Keep up the good writing here on your website!

Unknown said...

Great to see your blog up and running! I friend of mine just gave me the 70 resolutions that Edwards wrote and I have been reading them daily. What a great supplement to the reading of the Scriptures! Keep on posting!

Anonymous said...

Evan,

I like the blog! And bobby is right! It was awesome as well as very suprising to see you visit. I really like the resolution Idea, and yes encouragement is a very key thing in the Christian walk! You are so right and I felt a little convicted myself that I was not doing my share of encouraging either. I will continually prayer for you for that as well as following up with your resolutions, you have my word. And if you cold pray for me on those as well, I would thank you very much! I rreally look forward to some more posts, I will be checking your blog regularly for sure. And check mine weekly to, my goal is to post once a week if you can hold me acountable to that that would be awesome. THanks so much Evan and feel free to shoot me an email!

mcrane777@gmail.com

Keep up the blogs!!!
God bless!