Friday, April 14, 2006

Mexico

I havent been on this site for a long time, and I truly have a lot to say, and have been thinking about a lot, but have preferred to simply discuss it with people - in person. That has been a blessing unlike any other, and I highly recommend it. There isnt anything like close personal relationships with fellow Christians, so for whoever doesn't know what that is like, well, get to know what its like.

Anyways, I also enjoy jotting down my thoughts every once in a while, and i figure once in a month and a half is quite long enough to wait. This one is about something i noticed about the past 4 years ive been going to Mexico with King's. We just go once a year and it is a life-changing experience if you let it be. Then again you can also come back and forget about it in a month like most people do.

When I first went to Mexico I came back thinking: "Wow, these people are so poor. They have nothing compared to me, how can I be complaining about what I don't get to have." This is a legitimate perspective, and was very eye-opening and helpful to keep a mindset of contentment with my "well-0ff" situation in the great Estados Unidos (an understatement, i now understand).

But since then I've noticed a slight change. Actually it was a pretty large change. Now I'm the poor one. I'm the one who has been found lacking. Houses decay. Computers go out of date. The love of Christ and treasures in heaven cant ever be lost or stolen or destroyed. Matthew 6 is clear on that. That is what some of those people have, and they have more than me. I met this guy Charly last year who has a heart-wrenching testimony. Now he is a hardcore Christian and this year we met back up and he was witnessing to the mother at my site this year. That was really awesome. He's going to have a lot of treasure in heaven. Then no one will "feel sorry for him" because he's not "as well off as we are." Now instead of being challenged to just be content , he encouraged me to be a better Christ figure to those around me, and I wish I could thank him now for that.

Thats all for now, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evan, Thanks for your thoughts about your trips to Mexico. That's a great perspective to think about eternal reward rather than earthly riches. Did you post this from Mexico? If so that's awesome! I've heard of the internet reaching the world, but you travelled the world and reached the internet. Now that's sweet!

Anonymous said...

Evan, I am so glad that you "let Mexico change your life." I am sure that is why God sent you. I am praying for you for wisdom as you decide about the future and college.

Dave Sullivan