Saturday, April 15, 2006

Swimming in Time

A few weeks ago I went to lunch at Taco Bell with a good friend of mine before school had to start (it was SAT's and seniors didnt have to be there until 1pm). Some of you may know us as Kevan. We were just finishing up our lunch and I asked what time it was. It turned out to be only 12:30, to which she exclaimed, we're swimming in time! That immediately made me want to write a blog about time, which I told her I would, and this is me letting my yes be yes (Matthew 5:37).

Swimming in Time. That was an interesting phrase to hear, and in one sense it is true; yet in another sense it is deadly. For the Christian, life is long and short. I am only talking about physical life, not eternal life, which is... well... eternal. We both have all the time in the world and no time at all. Don't let this confuse you too much; I'll explain what I mean.

We have all the time in the world

There isn't any need to rush through our lives. No hurry to grow up. No need to experience all of life in a day. We are not impatient, afraid of "wasting" time, so long as we are in God's will. "I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope." (Psalm 130:5). The Lord's timing is the perfect timing, and as long as he has decided now is not the time for a girlfriend, I will not seek a girlfriend; that now is not quite the time to leave my parents, I do not seek to leave my parents; etc. These things come in their own time, and I do not become discontent or impatient in waiting for them.

We have no time at all


So we better get moving. The message of the Bible has a sense of urgency attached to it. For example, Paul says that
today is the day of salvation: "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Cor 6:2). Not tomorrow. We don't wait until we're old and about to die to accept God's good news to humanity. We accept it now, and we know God today, and we enjoy His blessing, and we do nothing until we put our faith in the Word of God. "Man who is born of woman Is few of days and full of trouble" (Job 14:1). We don't have much time to start living life before we've realized we missed it. We need not live it all at once, but if we don't start living now, we might not live at all. Let's give our lives to God, that He may pay us back abundantly and overflowing the life that He promised us.

We have plenty of time - no need to rush things. We don't have much time left - let us put off laziness and start worshiping the Lord with passion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evan, Wow! It's great to see another new blog! That's two days in a row! Way to make up for lost time! And thanks for being an example to us of using your time well! I really like how you broke the phrase "swimming in time" down and used Scripture to do so. Tell Kevan I said hi.