Saturday, August 25, 2007

Book Review: Velvet Elvis (Part I)

Rob Bell's first book Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith has become quite a popular read in various Christian circles. So popular, in fact, that I thought I'd take time to read this Emergent pastor's book and see what he has to say that's grabbing people's attention so vigorously. Quite honestly, it was difficult to find reasons why I personally should be attracted to this man's writing, though I can spy a few reasons why others might be more inclined to read him.

Peeves

Let me just talk for a few moments about some of the things I personally wasn't attracted to, but that others might find appealing. Keep in mind that I currently have no theological basis for not liking these aspects of Bell’s writing. This is simply preference.

1. He has quite a way with catchy titles, and the shock value helps to sell his product I’m sure. When discussing his second book (Sex God) with a fellow camp counselor, I commented that I thought the title was on the irreverent side, but this counselor disagreed and thought it was "brilliant" because of the marketing value. Non-Christians are more likely to pick up a book titled Sex God by a Christian pastor than they are one titled The Forgotten Trinity, for example. At least that's how the reasoning goes. This title is intriguing (What does Elvis have to do with Christianity, much less a Velvet one?), but it's the subtitle that gets under my skin: Repainting the Christian Faith. He explains it a bit in the introduction, but his analogy is quite lost on me. Repainting Christianity is like repainting the Mona Lisa. All you get out of the deal is a fake (or a different painting altogether...). But perhaps you're like my counselor friend and think highly of shocking labels.

2. He doesn't put Bible references in the text. Instead he leaves them for the endnotes section. Honestly I think to weave Biblical citations into the text a) saves paper, b) saves time, and c) won't offend anyone who has already picked up the book. There's nothing in the Bible that says "thou shalt cite thy verses," I just appreciate when I can spend my time flipping through the Bible rather than flipping to the back to read something that isn't any longer than my name. But perhaps you appreciate the unbroken read the provides for, should you desire it.

3. He cannot seem to figure out how much Biblical knowledge to assume, and such implies that he is confused as to who his audience is, or that he is writing to such a wide one that many readers (i.e. Yours truly) are left confused. At various points he speaks of New Testament authors as "the author of (insert book here)" or “one writer;” elsewhere he simply uses their name with no introduction whatsoever. I enjoy consistency, that's all I'm saying. But perhaps you appreciate that he is attempting to reach out to a larger (and 'unchurched') crowd.

4. The last peeve I thought I’d mention was Bell's tendency to exaggerate history. The example that stands out to me the most is when he is comparing quotes about Caesar and quotes about Jesus. He claims that one of the early Christians’ favorite phrases was "there is no other name given under heaven by which we must be saved than that of Jesus" (Acts 4:12). This phrase is used a total of 1 time in the entire New Testament. Are there outside sources that I don't know about? For some, the idea that this once quoted phrase was a favorite may be a reasonable assumption that makes history exciting (a rare thing in itself). For me, a peeve.

No comments: