Thursday, August 18, 2005

1 Corinthians 10:12-33

I went to Oceanside yesterday with my youth group, and it was very interesting. It seemed to be different than the other Oceansides I’ve been to before. Oceanside is basically our Wednesday night Bible study, but we go to Capitola and Twin Lakes from 10am until 10pm. We get to play Ultimate Frisbee a lot and dig holes and basically just have a good time walking around town and getting to know one another. The interesting and different part is that I am a senior, and somehow between the moment I walked into the gym as a freshman that first Sunday and now, I have changed. I have, without at all intending to, earned the respect of my peers and those leading the group as a person of character, capable of leading.

At one point during the day I was waiting for my pizza, and Bobby walked by and said, “Evan, Christa and I are going to move our cars. You’re in charge until we get back.” Well, honestly I didn’t have to be in charge of anything, and I wasn’t even really sure what I was expected to do when he said that. Just the fact that he said that to me was overwhelming. It implied to me that anything that may have had to be done, he thought I was capable of handling. That was overwhelming to me. Another time later in the day, Ty and I were tossing around the Frisbee. I can’t throw as well as he can, but I’m more than happy to run after anything he tosses. It was about time to come in for dinner when Ty walked up to Bobby and said, “This guy really hustles.” Now this is right in front of me, and as if it’s not enough to be spoken highly of in how much effort I put out when I play Frisbee, Bobby adds, “Yea, this guy hustles in everything he does.” So much for Super Slow Winslow huh, Bobby? I had no idea how to respond. It was quite overwhelming to be spoken of like this, and very encouraging too. I can testify how great it is to “Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth” (Proverbs 27:2).

All of this leads into the first verse in the next section I’m writing about: 1 Corinthians 10:12. It says simply this: “Therefore, let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” In light of all that was said to and about me yesterday, this is a perfect verse, because it reminds me that I am not the one doing these things. Without God I can honestly say that it would be impossible to have been brought to this point. I probably wouldn’t care enough to push myself as hard as people say I’m pushing, and I certainly wouldn’t have earned the respect of any God-fearing friends. It reminds me to give the glory only to Christ for what he accomplishing in the pot of clay that is myself. God alone is good. God alone is powerful. Anything good that comes out of anyone is only coming through them from God. It is not I who have victory over sin, but Christ. Verse 13 says that the temptations come from within myself. The temptations that I experience are human, a result of the flesh. God provides the path of escape. That verse is encouraging in another way too. There is a great promise in there! God is faithful, and he will always provide a way out. Always! Without fail there will always be a way to overcome our sin.

We need to remember that we are weak, and God is strong, but also that God offers his strength to us in the Holy Spirit. What an exciting proposition! Stop holding that power back and you will truly be able to do the impossible!

Paul then goes on to tell the Corinthians to “flee from idolatry” (v.14). Idolatry meant mainly worshiping idols in those days, but it could be referring to anything you put before God. I wrote about this in my last post 1 Corinthians 10:1-11, so check that out if you want a more detailed explanation. Then Paul gives them a challenge. He challenges them to test what he says, like wise men (v.15). We should have this same attitude when we hear other people talking about anything. It could even be our Pastor. We need to test what people say about the Bible or about any truth, then if we find out they are right, we fully understand it – not to mention we just studied the Bible, but if we find out they’re wrong, we aren’t led astray by a false teaching.

In this case, he’s challenging them to test him concerning what he says about idols, and he makes his case in the next few verses. First of all, he makes reference to the ceremonies of Passover. Today we don’t celebrate Passover, but instead we take communion symbolizing out unity with Christ. And since we are united with Christ, we are united with each other. (vv.16, 17). By eating this food at communion, we are symbolizing our unity with Christ, and acceptance of His authority over our lives. In the same way, people who ate food that was offered to idols were usually also the ones who offered it to the idol in the first place (v.18). This makes it clearer why some Christians would have a problem eating the food. Paul clarifies that idols in themselves are nothing (v.19), but that worshiping them is effectively worshiping demons. We are not supposed to be worshiping demons, but God (v.20). It is inconsistent for a Christian to be communing with demons, to accept their practices and authority over their lives (v.21). That’s an oxymoron – a Christian idol-worshiper. Paul warns of the consequences of such actions.

I love verse 23: “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.” Many things we have the freedom to do as Christians. Many things aren’t wrong necessarily, but they aren’t right either. We should aim to do what’s right, instead of being content with doing what’s simply not wrong. We are to put off sinfulness, and then turn around and put on God’s robes of righteousness. Paul then goes to introduce his next section with this convicting verse: “Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well being” (v.24). There isn’t much to explain here, except how radically we are supposed to apply that verse to our lives. Paul gives an example in the next few verses that I wrote about before in 1 Corinthians 8, so check that out if you want an in depth explanation of verses similar to verses 25 through 30 of this chapter.

Verse 31 is one of those verses that people would never think to do on their own: “Therefore, whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” We have the ability to give God glory in everything we do, even the simplest things like eating or drinking. This also, is a very convicting verse, because I know that I don’t do absolutely everything for God’s glory. Often it’s for my glory, or perhaps it’s just for fun. The purpose of it is to bring me pleasure, not glorify God. At those times I’m forgetting how much God deserves glory more than me, and how much pleasure is involved with following God’s Word. We studied Psalm 16 this summer for our Wednesday night Bible studies, and verse 11 says: “You show me the path of life; In your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” There are great rewards for following God, for remaining in His presence, and for making Him your number one delight (Psalm 37:4). These rewards are far greater than we can imagine, and certainly greater than any immediate gratification we get by sinning and not giving Him the glory He deserves.

Paul ends in exhorting the church to give no one a reason to be offended by them (v.32). He says he pleases “all men in all things.” In context we can see that this doesn’t mean he was encouraging hypocrisy, or anything of the sort, but that since he was putting another’s well being above his own, he became a servant to all, adopting their culture in order to be a more effective witness, that more might come to Christ (v.33). He feared God rather than man.

Well… It seems like this one has been especially long, but I hope reading it all did not become a burden. Thank you for taking the time to read what I have to say, and if you didn’t get every word, I understand. ( God Bless, and have a good time in the few days we have left of summer!

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Evan~
Thanks for the long, good post :) It's always good to remember that we don't accomplish anything good without Christ. But it's also encouraging to remember that God will be faithful to complete those good works in us!
Great post!!!!!!!
~Kels

AK said...

Edub (I've never called you that before...but I've also never left you a comment either!), so neat to see how God is leading you to apply His Word to your life. I love the verse you shared about taking heed lest we fall and how that applied very specifically to you hearing words of encouragement. Hope your blogging never feels like a burden, because it is such a joy to read! Know that you have a faithful reader on the other side of the country...

Anonymous said...

Evan,

I really appreciated the life-changing conversation you and I had on the way to and from the beach yesterday...(For those of you who weren't there Evan slept the entire way there and back because he was up all night doing homework and summer isn't even over yet...) Anyways, thanks for another encouraging exposition of I Corinthians! And by the way, all that nice stuff I said about you...well...I think that anybody who reads your well-written, serious-minded, intensely Biblical blog could probably tell that it's true...but don't let it go to your head. Tomorrow's another day. Post again.

Evan said...

hey all! thanks so much for leaving comments, and its great to see a few new faces - andrew and brad! keep comin back, its really encouraging.