Monday, August 22, 2005

The First Day of School

Today was the first day of school, and a good day it was indeed. I was able to read my Bible for a few moments this morning and remind myself what I was committed to - serving the Lord and being uncompromising. I must admit that before that I felt tired and grumpy, but after reading that I felt somewhat refreshed, and by the time I got in the car I felt completely ready to go to school. I find the first day of class to be somewhat amusing. It seems like I make a big deal in my head about every rule, later on forgetting they even exist. We read the Bible in a lot of my classes, and not just Senior Seminar (essentially our Bible class), so that was exciting! The great thing about Monday's is that I get that class first thing in the morning! That's sweetness.

Well, there's so much I could say about the first day of school. I'm getting homework already, some classes are really laid back like Spanish 5, where I'm confident we will have a great time, and some are a little less so like Physics, taught by Dr. Parker. I still really want to learn a lot in Spanish class, though. It'll be the last chance I have before we go to Mexico for the last time :(. What I wanted to just mention was our little homework assignments for Senior Seminar. We are going through the book of Ephesians this year (semester, actually, but we have only 1 semester, so I wont be doing any other books of the Bible for school this year), and we are supposed to do a journal about twice a week on about 3 or 4 verses for each journal! So... I was like, haha I totally do that already! (Except with a chapter of 1 Corinthians) So I thought, once I'm done with those, I might as well post them for all of you to benefit from! The great part is that it's only going to be about three verses, so it should be a lot shorter and more enjoyable for all you people who probably don't have all the time in the world! Just wanted to announce that pretty much. We also have memory verse(s) every two weeks I think, so I'll probably be writing on those.

I thought of a passage that came to mind while writing this. I was reminded of it because as soon as I arrived at school and sat in the midst of all my classmates:


James 1:22-25 - "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does."

Another awesome encouragement for us to strive to make the faith real in our hearts and lives. It even says we'll be blessed, and if anyone knows anything about the blessings of God, they knows it's worth any hardship we might face! Well, I must go now, I've got quite a few more responsibilities now that I'm back in school!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evan, What a celebration! For your birthday King's lets you and all of your friends go back to school! Then they tell you about all of the homework they are going to give you that could turn into great blogs! Sounds like we'll be enjoying your presents all year long!